Saturday, October 16

Devil

Halloween is my favorite holiday. It’s not even about the candy.

I think it’s a combination of the awesome feeling of Fall, and the fact that (if the neighborhood’s doing it right) everyone’s outside. And the candy helps...

Anyway, the Bible Belt is having another hissy fit about it:


“It’s a day for the good Lord, not for the devil,” said Barbara Braswell, who plans to send her 4-year-old granddaughter Maliyah out trick-or-treating in a princess costume on Saturday instead.

Because, people, Saturday is the day for the devil.

My chair is apparently also for the devil. It used to be such a beautiful, happy chair that I loved to sit in all the many hours I spend at my desk.



Since the move, it looks the same, but its spinning mechanism is all screwy:



I lose about five inches of chair height every week. I end up like some kind of chair mechanic, tuning it up every other day.

Although I really shouldn’t be foiled by simple machines, I have yet to figure out what causes the regular descent.

5 Comments:

Blogger jessie lawrence said...

On halloween, I'll be thinking about the Lord while I put on my devil costume and scare little kids out of their pants when they come to my door. Take that, Bible Belt!

October 16, 2004 at 11:38 PM  
Blogger annette said...

oh the logic of it all!

October 17, 2004 at 1:03 AM  
Blogger Nerina said...

what really cracks me up is that people still think halloween is about more than sugar, costumes and parties.

if wearing costumes and free candy makes those people think of the devil, then i don't want them at my party, that's for sure!

October 17, 2004 at 12:54 PM  
Blogger Benjamin Solah said...

give me a break bible belt, who cares, people don't see it as a holiday about the devil. I'm athiest and I still celebrate Easter, Christmas and all those holidays because I think they have a deeper meaning, it's about celebrating and having fun. Not all people are christians!

October 17, 2004 at 11:48 PM  
Blogger ScorpionTear said...

The Christian fundamentalists need to learn that there are thousands of other religions in the world. They are not the only ones. And so what if Halloween falls on Sunday? They act as if they are totally clean of Pagan DNA...

October 21, 2004 at 1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home