Sunday, October 17

“Making out with you is like a project.”*

Considering the asthma I have, I was a fool to leave New York without first making sure that my health insurance was good in California.

City-centric thinker that I was, I assumed that Insurance No. 1 would be happily accepted all over this country, including my new home. Well, I’m an ass. And now I can’t breathe, but am I about to go to the emergency room? No. One treatment on a nebulizer will run me $500, so I’m holding out for November 1. (November 1 is the day that Insurance No. 2 has kindly informed me that I will be able to start seeing a doctor.)

But for now, my asthma is killer. And since I can’t breathe, I sound like Phyllis Diller if I talk too much. Also, I can’t kiss The Boy very well. As I’m taking a deep breath before going in for one, the thing that runs through both of our minds is how absolutely un-sexy the whole affair has become.

So I am anxiously counting the days to the first of the month.

In the meantime, maybe I should just use my “emergency” inhaler twenty times a day, as one former doctor** suggested. (I think that kind of use merits renaming the device to, I don’t know, “ordinary” inhaler.)


*No, he didn’t mean it.

**The Boy affectionately refers to this one as “that quack”.



6 Comments:

Blogger Laila* said...

When I had asthma allergy, I searched for some permanent cure and I came across an article which stated that most asthma sufferers just didn't know how to breathe properly...

Since then, I stopped using nebulizer and taking inhalers. I did some aerobics and positive thinking. So far, I finally get rid of it, I hope.

But, it almost killed me in year 2000! I hope you'll get better soon...

October 17, 2004 at 2:07 AM  
Blogger Lucidly Awake said...

my bro and mom have asthama, and i know how it feels... Well.. do take care of yourself and i hope u get better soon.....

October 17, 2004 at 4:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

laila, where did you find your article?

October 17, 2004 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger puglet said...

Ah..I have chrohns disease, among other fascinating maladies..at least The Boy never told you " making out with you reminds me I need to buy toilet paper"

October 17, 2004 at 11:32 PM  
Blogger Rik said...

This blog is great, it's so cool to read! great job!
Now keep writing so i can visit back :)
greets,Rik
------------------------------
[My blog][avatars and funny stuff]

October 18, 2004 at 1:54 AM  
Blogger Randi said...

I've always felt lucky I never had asthma! Insurance companies are easy to deal with...the more you annoy them, the quicker they are to give in! Keep at it!

October 19, 2004 at 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home