Friday, November 12

Assault on Gums

Today I discovered, by way of being informed, that I have been brushing my teeth THE WRONG WAY my entire life.

Apparently, in all the years that The Boy has been present while I brush my teeth, he hasn’t noticed the atrocity that is my brushing style.

As usual, I was trying to conduct a conversation with a toothbrush in my mouth, and in the middle of a sentence (in which I was pestering him about helping me with the code for my upcoming redesign) he shouts, “What are you doing?”

Who knew that you’re not supposed to use all the force your arm can exert?

When I learned to brush my teeth, I probably had some “dirty-dirty” complex in my head. Out, damn plaque. Since then, I’ve been brushing happily, slowly scrubbing away my gums. I remember pleasing my hygienist with the lack of buildup on every dentist visit. And she may have mentioned once or twice that I seemed to brush very hard, but maybe she should have mentioned that if I kept it up, I would end up in the periodontist’s chair having a tiny piece of SOMEONE ELSE’S SKIN grafted onto my little cuspid.

The dentist failed me, but Boy, why didn’t you notice my brushing habits BEFORE last year?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, Lady Macbeth. Poor gums.

November 12, 2004 at 8:35 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Whoa, I thought I was the only one that was doing this. I finally, after 20-something years of brushing and dentist-visiting, finally came across a dentist that informed me that I've been brushing too hard. Who knew?

November 13, 2004 at 12:28 PM  
Blogger srah said...

My dental hygienist told me I had to brush more gently or I'd brush right through the enamel! Eep!

December 3, 2004 at 11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home