Wednesday, November 10

Freedom is ground cloves on a non-holiday.

Occasionally, I try to be extra sweet to The Boy, and in line with that sweetness, I will prepare for him some devilish baked good, continued proof that food is better than emotions.

Yesterday was one of these extra sweet days, so in the midst of our back-to-back working-typing-bullshitting, I stopped to pass him a note with the offer.

After some deliberation, he chose the pumpkin devil, and I escaped the home office to Ralph’s (cleanest grocery store ever) to purchase some ground cloves and pumpkin (because, no, I’m not about to bake and mash the damn thing myself. I said I try to be “sweet” not “slave” to him.)



(Yes, we really ate a quarter of this pie last night.)

Anyway, as I’m preparing the pumpkin goo, it occurred to me that this was not something that would ever have occurred in my house as a kid. Baked goods were for holidays, especially revered ones like pumpkin pie. It felt like sacrilege to be making such a dessert without a turkey in the freezer, but I swear, it still tastes the same.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's pretty ugly, but Oh MY GOD, I need some. NOW.

November 10, 2004 at 4:12 PM  
Blogger Mr. Thunderbird said...

actually, I thought the pointed crust was an attractive decorative touch. But yeah, I need a big-ass slice of that.

November 10, 2004 at 4:25 PM  
Blogger JEA said...

But it doesn't taste ugly.

Big Ass Slice coming right up.

November 10, 2004 at 8:16 PM  
Blogger Mia said...

I would almost pay for some of that right now...I think I just made the Homer Simpson drooling sound.

Mia
Ladybuggin.com

November 11, 2004 at 2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home